Table Of Contents
- Our Renovation Journey
- Selecting a Contractor
- The Mood Board
- List of Works Done
- Problems Encountered
- Hacking and Plastering
- Taobao Loots
- Kitchen Appliances
- Issues Encountered Part 1
- Issues Encountered Part 2
- Brick Walls
- Electrical Works
- The Finished Look + Final Review and Contacts
Installing of electrical wires
This was done over a span of 1 week or so (IIRC) before and after the brick walls.
Previously I mentioned that we had had a meeting with the electrician on planning how the wiring would be run. Even then with all the planning, many things went wrong, or were not what I expected.
Probably the biggest booboo was this one particular incident. My initial idea was to have EVERYTHING done in pipes. I figured since we were doing an industrial sort of look, pipes would be the best way to go. However, this meant that in the living room area where the pipes run out from the circuit board, there would be 3 pipes running along the ceiling (each pipe goes into a room). The electricians even gave me a stunned like vegetable look. Still, silly me insisted that I wanted it that way.
So I had the shock of my life when I went over one day, and saw the pipes – because of the width of the pipe hangers (I don’t remember how much it is, too traumatized), multiply that by 3, and add the pipes width, the total width was probably almost 1 foot…and SO FUGLY! Seriously, what was I thinking. So I thickened my skin, swallowed my pride and asked for it to be redone into 1 neat trunking :( It looks so much better now, but it’s an expensive mistake that cost us a few hundred to rectify. See image below for an illustration of the could-have-been disaster.
Now, 3 pipes have been removed and in place is a single trunking. So much neater and tidier. Plus, it fits in snugly with the brick walls.
Because the electrical works aren’t complete yet, I’ll leave the rest to be posted in a final post.
In retrospect, I don’t think we did a very good job with this. Being a totally visual-oriented person, I know nuts about technical stuff like these. And Bear, being new to an entire house renovation, was quite clueless as well (although less so than me). Also, unlike with the rest of the house, we didn’t have a concrete plan for the electrical works and without an ID (or someone!) to sit down and plan the wiring with us, we could only rely on our own common sense, and the electrician’s expertise. Of course it’s not complete yet, so probably will see how it goes from here.